CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Don't bring me Down

I wasn’t 100% about this post directly following my positivity post yesterday but the more I think about it the more I feel the two topics really go hand in hand. You see, what had happened was…


Yesterday, during an innocent conversation about some recent medical issues I’ve been dealing with, a friend of mine shared a story about a person who had dealt with similar issues. Obviously, based on how this story impacted me, it wasn’t a very happy one. Now, I am absolutely, without a doubt positive that her intention was not to upset or disturb me but they did just that. I say ‘they’ because it wasn’t her so much as her words.

Pondering this experience and how deeply affected I was by a simple conversation, it really got me thinking about the power of words. I wish that I could say I always think before I speak but I can assure you I do not. There are many a times when I spout off about one thing or another and immediately wish I had filtered a little; well, let’s be honest, filtered A LOT! Sometimes it’s hard to recognize how impactful words can be until you’re on the receiving end of a ‘tongue lashing’.

All and all, while this particular experience does have me a bit down and out, when I consider it in its entirety, I have to say, I’m thankful. I’m thankful because this situation has forced me to do two things: One, I am forced to decide whether to dwell in it or let it go, I choose the latter. And, two, it has encouraged to be more thoughtful with my own words...so cheers to that!

Brought to you by the letter 'D'! 

2 comments:

  1. That is most definitely something I have been focusing on in my life since the beginning of the year... choosing my words more carefully! Often I am not even aware how deeply my words cut, and I certainly don't want to be the reason for anyone's pain! One of my favorite quotes concerning this...

    "I alone choose what ruins my attitude and complicates my life. I live with the decisions I make about everything and everyone around me. I see what I decide and react as I choose." -Hugh Prather

    I am glad you were able to let it go and keep spreading the positivity! :) :)

    Love you!

    makinmartinezmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing quote, I absolutely 100% love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete